Saturday, February 4, 2017

Any Star Wars experts out there?

Do you know what this is?


It's been serving as the Stronghold of my matched pair of Battle of Hoth armies for Hordes of the Things for many years.  It's made of heavy grade, grey polythene but there's some kind of mechanism inside. There's a LucasFilm copyright notice printed on it somewhere so I guess it is actually from somewhere in the Star Wars canon.




As the picture below shows, there's a rotating section on top and some kind of ratchet mechanism can be heard inside as it moves.


What the hell is this beast?

4 comments:

Sologamer said...

It looks familiar. I'm sure it's from one of the toy sets from the 70's and 80's. I think my friend had one but I can't remember what set it is from though I could be wrong.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Tom!

Keep on trying folks.

Andy T said...

I have one of those in the loft somewhere. It is a Star Wars Vehicle Maintenance Energiser from the Rebel base at Hoth. If you look about the middle there should be 4 cup holder thingies. There would have been two refuelling hoses that would be inserted into the holders. The other ends had a suction cap that could be stuck to your Rebel Transport, Millenium Falcon etc. The part that lifts up and rotates concealed 2 tool boxes. A variety of tools would be inside and, when the lid was rotated open, could be hung off them as a rack.

If you put Star Wars Vehicle Maintenance Energiser into Google Images there's a whole heap of pictures of them.

Counterpane said...

Wonderful, I knew someone would know! Thanks Andrew.

I shall carry on using it as a base for my 15mm forces but it's nice to know what it was meant to be.