Sunday, July 5, 2015

Enough is Enough

The remnants of a pack of Baccus Late Roman lanciarii were looking at me funny.  "Use us" they were saying, but I didn't really need more light infantry.

Now, I know they work quite adequately as close order Auxilia but I didn't have enough for a whole unit as I've previously based them.


The solution I came up with was to add a little diorama element in the form of a muleteer quickly taking the unit's supplies to the rear:





All of the figures are from Baccus. The muleteer is from the Tumbrils pack.  The mules themselves are converted from Napoleonic artillery limber horses kindly donated by Geoff Taylor.  The Batavi Seniores, for such they are, are reinforced by a couple of converted figures from the Viking- and Saxon Personalities packs.  The passing horseman is a new "hero" to reinforce my equites alares.

Also completed recently is an additional general element for use with pretty much any Germanic barbarian army.


He's from the Viking Personalities pack and is accompanied by a couple of wolfskin-clad ulfhednar.  Now the latter are obviously Viking but I've recently been reading Bernard Cornwell's The Winter King and I'm inspired to use these guys with non-Norse armies too.  Who's to say that similar ritual practices didn't occur in other Dark Ages cultures?

Finally, I've completed another pancerny unit for my early 18th century Polish-Lithuanian army.  Only two more to do and then I can start on the Swedes!





5 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Great looking minis! I love the idea of the baggage.

I'm basing Lates at the moment; bloody big ones, Musketeer, GB and Black Tree. It's such an interesting period due to the Notitia.

Counterpane said...

Cheers, Simon.

I'm following your lead building waggon lagers at the moment!

Counterpane said...

... laagers... bloody autocorrect!

BigRedBat said...

Laagers- super! Adrianopolis...

BigRedBat said...

Laagers- super! Adrianopolis...