Monday, August 13, 2012

What I did on my holidays

Well, back from a week on the edge of the North York Moors, refreshed and ready to go.

Not much wargame-related stuff was done, though Jamie and I did manage a game of 15th century Italian Wars Impetus using my miscellaneous 6mm toys (sorry no pics) and we also played a first game of the Lord of the Rings skirmish game.

On the way home we went to Eden Camp Military Museum near Malton where I managed to take some pictures.  Some of the kit on display was in doubtful colour schemes and some of the labels were questionable.  For example this:


Was described as an all-welded SdKfz 251 Ausf D built by Skoda in Czechoslovakia.  The rear hull shape is wrong for an Ausf D and it has an armoured roof over the crew compartment. I suspect it's actually a post-war OT-810.

Rather more kosher was this ex-RAF Spartan APC.  It rather confirms that I've got the shade of green about right on my 6mm scale British armour.


Another interesting exhibit was this Carrier.  I saw the four road wheels and thought at first it might be a Loyd Carrier but walking round the front I discovered it was a Universal T-16 Mk.1, not a model I was previously familiar with.  It was depicted towing a limber and a 25pdr gun.  It would be interesting to know if it actually had this role - I'm not aware of 25pdrs being towed by carriers.  Research needed I guess.



There were lots of other vehicles (though I was doubtful about the paint schemes) including a T-34/85, and a Churchill (a Crocodile without the flamethrower trailer) and various artillery pieces.  Worth a visit if you're in the area.
 



1 comment:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Glad you had a good break guys. Looks like a OT-810 to me to. The hatch arrangement looks just like a Czech OT-810.

Cheers

Richard P